View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #58
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy on the cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Roy Slade View Post
Yeah, I was gonna say... Page 61 of the DMG makes this clear, by way of introducing a short Gygax essay as to why it is undesirable to have detail in combat, and which highlights that Gygax and the overwhelming majority of players were on a different page: "As hit points dwindle, [PCs] can opt to break off the encounter and attempt to flee." I doubt this has happened in more than about 0.1% of AD&D combats.

Anyway, derail aside, the lower-level DF is an excellent notion. 250-point characters always feel to me like about what 4th- to 7th level AD&D characters did. Good for delving, but not that good for heroes at the beginning of their career, which can also be fun.
IMHO up to a point the higher levels of AD&D are better simulated via cinematic then going nuts with the point totals but past that point you are going to have to let the point total increase.

This brings up another issue--how much of the character's power is tied to the world rather than to themselves? When I converted Lina Inverse I found it saner to treat her spells per the Ritual Magic system then build them piecemeal and this makes her only 421 points.

If you go back to the DMG1 it is made quite clear that spell power does not come from the mage but rather from the Inner and Outer Planes. Cut that off (as in Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits or Dragon 100's "City Beyond the Gate") and most classes are in a world of hurt: magical abilities will work poorly if at all and spells are majorly crippled or worse work in strange and bizarre ways.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote