View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #18
tshiggins

Default Re: Requesting ideas for a new campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

(SNIP)

But on the gripping hand, this is because I've run more than a dozen GURPS campaigns and I'm fairly confident about using the character creation rules. I'm not sure how much experience Toman has with them, and it may be better to come up with a campaign idea that doesn't involve rescuing players further into the deep end than Toman's comfortable with.
In keeping with this notion, it's generally quite beneficial to not only have a clear campaign description (in a prospectus, or whatever), but to also describe clearly the sort of characters the players should come up with, including the sorts of abilities they can and can't have, at character creation.

I know Bill, here, does this, and it worked really well when I set up the Facets campaign, too.

I did it, there, because I knew that if I just provided the campaign premise -- a wainscot magic setting where the secrets of magic and monsters were both terrifying and dangerous, which the characters learn about accidentally and then try to learn to survive and deal with -- someone would have come up with a fully-initiated mage with a crap-ton of points in Occultism.

That is not what I wanted. I wanted a campaign based on discovery of the unknown, both wondrous and horrible. To have a fully-initiated mage who could get answers with a die-roll didn't fit into that concept, so I specifically forbade any such thing.

Moreover, the one character who did have Occultism, I told couldn't use it until she had access to reliable research materials and expertise in the language to read them.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote