View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 12:23 AM   #17
whswhs

Default Re: Requesting ideas for a new campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
I agree. When I introduced people to GURPS with supers, I had them make the 150 point characters and I built the powers. I then handed out each power on a card with both a GURPS description and a plain English description as it was discovered. It was a lot of work for me, but it was fun and totally paid off.
I'm going to say that, on one hand, I would involve the players in the complete build process, but on the other hand, I would take whatever they gave me (from a wishlist to a rough sketch to a complete build), go through it, and build the whole character, checking point costs, arithmetic, rules legality, world plausibility, and so on, and run it past the player. Not just for new-to-GURPS or -gaming, but for every single player. No one gets to go away, build their own character, and come to the table and sit down with it, unexamined, not in any campaign I run.

But on the gripping hand, this is because I've run more than a dozen GURPS campaigns and I'm fairly confident about using the character creation rules. I'm not sure how much experience Toman has with them, and it may be better to come up with a campaign idea that doesn't involve rescuing players further into the deep end than Toman's comfortable with.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote