View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 11:09 PM   #313
jason taylor

Default Re: [Space] Fighter-to-ship ratio: what is it and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Okay, you're not engaging with the question at all, and you seem to have moved the goalposts to somewhere you won't even identify.

I'm pretty sure you're not talking about fighter piloting anymore. But if you won't say what you are talking about, I don't see anything that can be discussed.
I am saying that there is no way to do sufficient analysis without human coordination and that the coordination cannot be fleet based because the fleet must insert far enough out to avoid being blindsided which is in turn far enough out that there is indeed a considerable lag time. And fighter piloting in the context of hypothetical space combat and indeed in aerial combat has long meant simply "utility light combat vehicle" and there has not in fact been "fighters" for ages as "fighter" presumes the existence of "bombers" of which there has not been a need for. Dogfighting in fact will probably be a minor part of war except between belter statelets. But light spacecraft crewed by humans will certainly be required and self-defense or even opportunistic attack capability will probably be within them. Just as a Spruance still totes a gun even when most of her work is done with heliocopters.

Last edited by jason taylor; 11-14-2017 at 11:30 PM.
jason taylor is online now   Reply With Quote