View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #4
Cat

Default Re: Optional Squares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
I like to say moving vertically or horizontally costs 5 movement, and moving diagonally costs 7. (This is accurate to within 2%.) But more usually, games say moving v. or h. costs 2 and d. costs 3. (You would likely want to double the movement of all characters if you are using this latter system.)

And that is it. Ranges of missile weapons would also use the adjustments I gave in movement, and everything else should be easy to adapt.
I've played other square grid games, and greatly prefer the simpler route of doubling movement and ranges and counting orthagonally as 2 and diagonally as 3. This worked great for movement and passing in Bloodbowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
But one thing that bugs me is that in a hex based system, a maximum of 6 opponents can engage you. I personally think even that's too many, based on personal experience in martial arts (admittedly not necessarily representative).
I've also done a lot of SCA fighting, Renaissance style fencing, and Roller Derby — 6 engaging at a time is quite excessive. In other skirmish games I play, like Donnybrook, we just place a maximum limit of 3 attackers on a single figure and don't worry about placement. The same could work in TFT on either type of grid, just cap that at most only 3 or 4 can attack regardless of which adjacent spaces they are in.

Simpler is always better than fussier! I certainly wouldn't want to fuss over a 4th facing of 'Flank'.

I've never fretted over exact scale of my dungeon modules. Each space accommodates 1 regular sized figure, and so would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 3'–5'. My corridors are mostly 2–3 spaces wide, but some narrow passages of 1, and some broader at 4+.

A 3 x 3 megasquare is certainly the easiest translation of a megahex.

Many commercially available 3D bits are 1" squares (Dwarven Forge, etc.), but I dislike going that small. I aim for 30mm as much as possible to allow room for minis in action poses to easily fit into the space and up along walls and each other. That helps when facing is important and you don't want to twist figures around just to get them to fit.

I build my dungeon rooms in various sized shadow boxes from the craft store, so the space size in each one is partially determined by available floor space and working around fixed features. Often I'll do variable sized spaces, with the larger ones along the walls to alleviate placement constraints of minis.

In recent years, my Fantasy gaming has been with chibi miniatures, so the dungeon tends towards the sparkly and colourful too. Here are some sample rooms:

https://goblinhall.files.wordpress.c.../02/3rooms.jpg

https://goblinhall.files.wordpress.c...glassrooms.jpg

https://goblinhall.files.wordpress.c...newbaseszd.jpg

edit: hmm, not sure why the images aren't displaying, but the links work...