View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
PseudoFenton

Default Re: [DF] Gem of Healing questions

I guess I'm looking for the "correct" answers to four main questions...
  1. Do Spell Stones that cast Major or Minor Healing suffer cumulative casting penalties by standard in Magic? (Or does the "stone" itself cast the spell, and therefore each spell is performed by a unique caster.)
  2. Do Gems of Healing suffer cumulative penalties per casting in DF, considering its simplified play style.
  3. Can Gems of Healing (in DF) be activated by a user in a way that heals another subject, and if so how (can it be used at range, considering it is a regular spell, or is it limited to touch range at the time of crushing)?
  4. If the answers are prevailingly Yes to these questions, are the cumulative penalties counted per spell stone user (ie, who activated the gem and cast the spell), per recipient (ie, who was healed by the gem, regardless of who activated it) or per crafter of the spell stone (ie, who made the spell stone and suspended the spell in the first place)?

A lot of the answers so far have addressed either 1 or 2. Which is fine, and I can totally see waiving the normal penalities (assuming there are any to begin with), but I can also see balance reason or alternative means of counting the penalties that are no more book keeping than having a cleric on the team.

I'm also very interested in the answer to question 3, as it radically changes the utility of the item if you can't use it on another person, or if you can but only akwardly. Or if the Gem functions exactly like a spell stone and you can start naming other PCs you can't even see and don't know where they are, but you know need some immediate healing and its worth a go even if the caster penalties are likely very high (that's what Luck is for, after all).