View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #48
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Artillery (and Forward Observer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
When do you use Gunner or Guns with mortars or light mortars, then?
Surely when there actually is line of sight from the gun to the target, specifically not true in that situation?
Quote:
I personally found the FDC chief's billet to be the most rewarding and challenging thing I ever did in the infantry. The Forward Observer's Call for Fire is a request for fire support. The FDC chief issues the Fire Command. It it the chief's responsibility to determine the specific rounds and fuze settings, the number of rounds used, and the shape of the sheaf. If you aren't going to focus on the "boring" parts then focusing on the part where an Ammo-man pulls the pin from the shell and the A-Gunner drops it in the tube seems to be a poor choice.

Edit: Also when to shoot which is big deal when you are coordinating fires in support of mobile elements and you want to avoid friendly fire.
I don't have the experience but I quite agree on what's more interesting...
Quote:
Yes, TL4 or less "Artillery" really isn't. It can only effectively do indirect fire against preplanned targets and lacks observers and fire direction (both of which are experimental technologies at TL5). GURPS rules seems to say that mostly you use Gunner with TL5 and earlier pieces because mostly you are using direct fire.
Interestingly, and I think appropriately, Low Tech specifies Artillery for obligate high-angle cannon (p88) and mechanical artillery (p82).

...I'm not sure how this works with using Gunner for a mortar in direct lay. I might appeal to the matter of sights and the lack thereof of more primitive systems. With a well-designed range-adjusted ballistic sight and standardized ammunition you can make a straightforward mechanical process out of a task that calls for sophisticated-for-its-time science and a touch of art when done with a TL3 bombard.
Quote:
Plotting boards have to be set up for use. The guns and FO positions need to be plotted, grid lines need to be labeled, deflection needs to be labeled, ect. Ballistic Mortar computers actually need even more; precise grids for the guns and FO, ammo counts by shell, and so on.
And all of this is supposed to be a negligible additional burden, for a group that might be as small as two people, compared to laying down a few stakes?