View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #43
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Artillery (and Forward Observer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I don't see what advantage adventure stories would gain by breaking down matters further. Lots of skills are similarly broad for identical reasons: Sticking my finger into the Skills chapter at random, here's Mechanic (Vehicle Type), which covers the controls, engine, electrical wiring, windows, seating, air conditioning, and even the paint job of a vehicle. And here's Writing, which encompasses creative writing, technical writing, report writing, adcopy, editing, proofreading, indexing, and everything else to do with written words.
There's no uniting principles between how to quickly load and fire a cannon and how to do the trig to determine where it needs to point. Artillery, as this agglomeration, seems more like Soldier, in being a cluster of subskills based on a particular sort of common skillset. Except for seemingly being a combination of two quite distinct skillsets in the particular case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Given that artillery use already gets two skills (Artillery, Forward Observer), it's doing pretty good. When one person is exposed and taking care of the daring job of observing the enemy, and another gets to fire a big freakin' gun that blows things up, I can't really see it being a fun adventuring task to be the third guy who . . . consults tables. The game is about what's dramatic and fun, remember; simulation always comes second. The general guideline is "one skill per interesting task for adventurers."
I pretty much disagree with all of that sentence-by-sentence. But I understand that's how the thinking goes.