View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #18
Daigoro

Default Re: Basic Set: CIA/FBI/NSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
The CIA only does those things in other countries, where US laws don't have jurisdiction. Meanwhile, those activities are generally illegal according to the target country's laws. A CIA officer doesn't have an official standing that lets them ignore either set of laws. They may well do so, and get away with it, and make their superiors happy. But none of those results is due to a special legal status. The CIA doesn't hand out Bond-style licenses to kill.
I was talking about the NSA, but I would say that the 15-point version is canonically meant as the advantage that CIA field agents have. They can do things that a regular US tourist or businessman in a foreign country would not get away with. It's listed as the advantage for KGB officers, but that doesn't mean that the KGB has jurisdiction in the US. And Jack Ryan didn't get charged with murder for all the Venezuelan soldiers he shot while storming the Presidential Palace. He might get dressed down by a superior or moved to a desk job, but the fact that he won't go to a Venezuelan prison is due to his 15-pt LEP.

You might be able to argue that the 15pt version is only for cinematic games, and in an ultra-realistic legalistic game you'd model it as a web of Patron, Rank and so on, but for most fictional CIA agents I can think of I'd just go with LEP.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote