View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #10
Tigrah2k

Default Re: Power Pools and tiered powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The problem with using Modular Abilities is that they are a bit expensive for what you get. It is often better to use Alternate Abilities (or rules like Temporary Enhancements or Using Abilities at a Default).

For example, you could have a character with Healing (Reduced FP Cost, 10 FP, +200%; Reliable, +50%) [105] and Regeneration (Very Fast; Alternate Ability [20]. Modular abilities to do the same thing would require around 6 CP per point, because the effect is Physical, meaning that you would spend 10 CP for Regeneration (Slow) and 540 CP for Modular Ability 90 to be able to upgrade your Regeneration. You end up saving around 425 CP by using Alternate Abilities.

Of course, if you gave each ability the Cosmic power modifier, it gets a little more expensive, but it is worthwhile because you can have cosmic alternative abilities. The Regeneration (Very Fast; Cosmic, +50%) becomes 150 CP and Healing (Alternate Ability; Cosmic, +100%; Reduced FP Cost, 10 FP, 200%; Reliable, +10, +50%) becomes 27 CP, but you can have anything else alternating off the chain.
If Regen were the only purpose I had for a cosmic modular ability, then your logic would be sound. However, the versatility of the modular ability is the real reason I use it. I have crafted some fifty or so abilities at a minimum to switch out as needed, with intentions to create more. All to support the notion of my omni-elementalist concept.

My question's relevance is to the notion of increasing the potency of a permanent ability by using a modular ability to augment it.

Just to check and see if I'm on the right page with the comments about using the difference.

Regen: Base (1HP/12Hr) 9 pts
(Super-10%)

Regen: Trance (1HP/Min) 65 pts (56 pts diff?)
(Backlash: Incapacitation: Daze -50%, Heals Radiation +40%, Once On, Stays On +50%, Super -10%)

Last edited by Tigrah2k; 01-11-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Tigrah2k is offline   Reply With Quote