View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 AM   #40
Tywyll

Default Re: The (Unintentional?) MMO End Game of TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Interesting ideas here! We started playing ITL the week it came out (pretty sure it was the spring or summer of 1980) -- we waited a looong time because it was announced somewhere around 1 year and a half or two years before it actually came out.

We played for over 4 years and got multiple PCs into the 40+ point ranges, with 20+ IQ wizards making magic items, putting keeps on asteroids with gate-managed air supplies, etc. We didn't get a whole lot of wishes though.

The new system opens up wishes to much more inexperienced PCs. Skargs' point about Shapeshift and its interaction with wishes is interesting as well since you can save wishes up and spend them in succession after you shift, although I wonder what would happen after a series of alternating shifts and wishes followed by a Dissolve Enchantment spell -- where do the wishes go after you return to your original form? One quick fix to that hole might be that wishes operate on your natural attributes, not your shifted attributes.

One thing that made lesser wish farming so easy for the 40-point PCs was that 2 7-hex dragons seem to be able to handle an angry lesser demon because they have a higher DX. Their DX is the same as a greater demon but the Aid spell could remedy that.
That sounds really interesting! I love the 'wizards on asteroids' for creativity!

I don't think Dissolve enchantment would have any impact on a Wish that has already been made, any more than it would heal damage from a fire ball. The wishes change has been made, it doesn't linger after that. YMMV and all that.

And thank you for pointing out the kinds of games the old system allowed. People are acting like making magic items can't be done or some nonsense when its right there in the book!!!
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote