View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #36
zot

Default Re: The (Unintentional?) MMO End Game of TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Anyone who wants to play the new TFT with 50+ point characters is free to do so. You can do it by fiat, or you can do it by awarding tens of thousands of XP per adventure, or you can do it by house ruling a different stat progression table. All of these require mere moments to decide and write down, and the core book clearly encourages you to do what you need to do in order to have a character progression that you like.

But my advice is to not do it. My reading of the discussion of this issue on this forum is that most people pushing for more open ended stat progression either never played very much TFT before the Legacy Edition came out, or did so so long ago that the details are getting a bit fuzzy. If this is you, then I am expecting you to be back here in a month or two complaining that the game isn't very fun with such characters. Every character becomes more or less the same because no one has to make a meaningful choice regarding what they invest in. Everyone succeeds pretty much all the time at pretty much everything. And, paradoxically, your super powered characters will remain fragile because even 60 point characters are vulnerable to getting killed by dumb luck after a couple hundred turns of combat. In short, the game is designed around the 3d6 bell curve for stats, and once you get yourself well outside of that curve for all three of ST, DX and IQ the whole thing gets kind of pointless.
I disagree on the fragility of 60-point characters in TFT Legacy. With the new death rules, characters below 0 can still be healed shortly after combat, which allows for healing and Regeneration. Also every 60-point PC ought to have a stack of lesser wishes they can use to immediately heal back up to full ST if they're one-shotted by a triple damage roll, since the RAW says you can buy one lesser wish after every adventure.

To cap this off, lesser wish farming is very easy for even a small number of advanced PCs (I made a thread on that -- two properly prepared 40-point wizards should be able to handle an angry lesser demon without much difficulty). If people are playing by the RAW, each 60-point PC should easily be able to replenish their stack of wishes on an as-needed basis.

This should ensure that every combat becomes just a matter of how many wishes it costs. Which, I suppose, is a good measure of challenge and a way for the GM to construct adventures through wish-accounting.

A GM who decides that NPCs ought to be wish farming too gets an interesting dilemma: whether or not to simply cancel PC wishes as they use them, one at a time. I guess a cancelled wish would be a signal to the players that this combat is a "wish-free zone", as the PCs would cancel NPC wishes as well. I dunno, maybe that would make for a good boss fight in the MMO-TFT world...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote