View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #6
Tallor

Default Re: WWII: 40mm Autocannon VS tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Its going to depend massively on what it's firing, that looks like a HE round so an anti-air round, so no good against all but the lightest ground vehicles.

What cannon is going to effect this:

The Vickers S (which was a plane cannon) had muzzle velocity of 570 m/s

The Bofors 40mm is faster but obviously bigger

The German's had a 37mm cannon which I think came out of the Flak 18/56 the closest in High tech to that is I think the Rheinmetall 3.7cm PaK, written up in pg 140. (But if anything the other cannon will better with higher muzzle velocity etc).

Thing is these stopped being ground based anti tank guns early in WW2 as tank armour got thicker.

But planes using lighter anti tank cannon was very much a thing in WW2 as they fired down through the much thinner roof/deck armour.

That Rheinmetall 3.7cm PaK, has a APEX round that is (Dmg 7dx4(2) pi++). with a 2d [2d] cr ex follow up

This will happily go through the Turret roof DRs of 55 & 70 for the Panzer 4 & Sherman, but not so much the DR 280 & 220 of the front of both (it's closer for the Sherman though)
So if I invent parking garages, then drive the AA gun up a parking garage, and fire downwards, I might destroy a WWII tank with WWII AA technology? :P
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote