View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #150
trooper6

Default Re: What will you not allow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Which brings up a good point. I would not let a Method Actor game with me (again). Gaming is fun, not a job. You are not your character, your character is not you. It's just a game. If you're taking it personally, you're doing it wrong (my opinion).
I'm a method actor and I don't take things personally...because...you know...I'm acting. But I think it is important to know if, for example, as a GM, you don't want to play with Method Actors because you think taking the game wa-ay too seriously is unfun. Because as a Method Actor type (using Robin Laws's typologies here), I wouldn't have fun in a game (unless we are talking about one-shots) that wasn't being treated seriously.

Which now reminds me of one more thing I don't like. It isn't a Not Allow...but is is a serious Do Not Like. I don't like people drinking alcohol during game. For me, beer and pretzels is for after the game when we are just doing the fun hangout it isn't for the game, which I take more seriously. I want the great art and the profundity. I don't want the Monty Python jokes that go on way too long for my taste.

ETA: There has developed a sort of Macho Method Acting exemplified by people like Christian Bale, Daniel Jay Lewis, Jared Leto, et al. That has almost no relationship with method techniques I was taught in drama classes. It is really not a good example of theatrical method developed by Stanislavski. But also in an RPG context, I'm talking bout the Robin Laws Definition of the Method Actor player type. He describes it as more obstinate than I'm used to, especially as the "Yes and" aesthetic from improv theatre makes its way into more and more Method Actor/Storyteller heavy RPG groups.

Last edited by trooper6; 12-08-2017 at 01:15 PM.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote