View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #142
whswhs

Default Re: What will you not allow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I've never actually had a GM constrain PC age or sex, so I have no idea how I'd react to that. Every GM I've had for 38 years has felt it important to leave decisions like that to the player. You could say that I consider freedom to choose age, sex, and (within what exists in the game world) culture and skin color to be inviolable rights of the player, thanks to four decades of gaming with people who see it that way.
Well, for that one, when I ran my Worminghall campaign, the PCs had to be newly admitted students at a medieval university with a faculty of magic. The normal situation was for them to be around 14, though I would have allowed a character who was starting their studies at a greater age. It was against the custom for women to attend universities (as it remained until the 1800s, when, for example, German universities started accepting rich American women as students), so anyone wanting to play a female character would have had to have her cross-dressing and putting a few points into Acting and Disguise. No one would be admitted who didn't have Latin at least at Broken. None of those was an arbitrary restriction; all of them followed from the choice to play in that historical setting.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote