View Single Post
Old 05-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
RogerBW

Default Re: Hey 19 (Pyramid, that is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
So, Clerics! What kept you in the monastery and what made you want to chuck it all for a job as a pickle vendor?
I wasn't expecting much out of this issue because I'm not running or playing in anything with magic-wielding clerics. However...

Auras of Power

Very nice, mostly for the aura mechanic itself rather than the examples. Applicable to all sorts of weird powers... [5]

The Sin Eaters: An Unclean Clerical Calling

An interesting magical spin on a (probable) real-world tradition. The scenario hook may be obvious, but it's still enjoyable. Loses a point for not having mechanics, and another because I'm not going to be able to use it soon. [3]

Warehouse XXIII: Three Holy Artifacts

The Hymnal is an interesting restriction on a usual effect (for which reason I wouldn't use the less-restricted Greater Hymnal). Seeds of Faith seem a bit too gimmicky (entirely subjective evaluation). The Self-Candle is more interesting, and as pointed out works both ways. [4]

Miraculous Events!

I don't know who uses these handouts. This particular one is even less interesting than usual, because it doesn't offer any combinatorial effects; it's just a set of index cards. [1]

Templars: The Fighting Priests

Mostly stuff I already know, and much of it not particularly game-related. Graeme is always an interesting writer, though, which scrapes back a point. [3]

The Tricks of the Shaman

A usefully sociological approach to deception. This has all sorts of applicability, and even a reasonable leavening of rules material. [5]

Sanctuary and Right of Clergy

Short and solid. Not directly useful to me but could go into a lot of campaigns. [5]

Random Thought Table

Didn't grab me as much as usual, but mostly because I'm not running that sort of campaign at the moment. [3]

Odds and Ends

Quirks don't really grab me, and the Avalanche box would have been better in RTT, but it's a decent Murphy. [3]

Overall

I'd have liked to see something about clerics in non-fantasy settings.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote