View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: (DF) Western Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
In DF you can ONLY kill monsters and take their stuff and then exchange the loot in an abstract town.
This is false.

Is DF set up to explicitly handle this sort of play? Yes. Is the only sort of play you can run using DF? No.

Quote:
With GURPS DF there is no way to incorporate things like culture into an easy to use book.
Also false. And pointedly false with the adventure Hall of Judgement sitting right over here...

Quote:
If you want to do that you have to do it yourself.
Until someone else writes. But that's the way of things. If someone else doesn't do it and you really want it badly...

Quote:
There is no continuum between hack and slash DF and a historical fantasy, they are completely separate.
Can I say false again? Should I break out a thesaurus yet?

Quote:
If you want to make a dungeon setting in medieval Europe the GURPS writers will not write a book on how to set up a town and how to make the monsters seem like the ones from myths instead of being like in AD&D or Lord of the Rings they will just point you to GURPS Fantasy and then say DO IT YOURSELF!
This is ... oh hang on. This one is true, so far. As in, "no one has yet written a book on how to make monsters from medieval European myth or how to run towns like medieval European fantasy for DF yet".

But I bet that 3e book, Middle Ages 1, would go a very long way in fulfilling part of this. I mean if I wanted to run medieval European DF, I'd certainly start there.

And if I really wanted to go to town, it looks like there is a series out there just for this, City Builder. Though I just discovered this series exists*, so I have no idea how GURPS and/or user friendly it is. I'm looking at picking up number 1 though...

Does anyone know what else the authors have written?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote