View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Seeking build advice: Modern conspiracy character creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
Hm... I've just started reading through PowerUps6, Quirks, and one suggested example of a quirk's effect is "lost ... cash equal to about 10% of the character's income, as a lump sum monthly". Cryo life insurance costs around as much as cable TV; would treating it as such a quirk be a viable replacement for either of the 5-pointer approaches mentioned so far?
That's Debt and it is in the Basic Set too, and yes, that works. Especially if you are paying Status 0 CoL and cryonics is probably not available as an option below Status 1.

Note that this really isn't any different, in terms of game utility (whether it works or not because if it does work it most likely will be outside the scope of the game) or even real world economics, from having an expensive family plot and planning for a lavish funeral service (and of course many people believe burial "works" and in a campaign with the supernatural, it is about as likely to matter as cryonics). Which definitely seems like a thing that high Status CoL gets you if you want it. So taking Debt to get it with lower Status CoL works, but make sure that you aren't overpaying (if 10% of your income is more than the difference in CoLs you are better off just paying the higher CoL).

On the other hand, if I was the GM, I would just say that you get it with your normal CoL, because it really doesn't matter (and you could make it work in lieu of, as you say, cable or something) and I would rather you spend your income on useful things.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote