View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
Agemegos

Default Re: [Spaceships] Hydroponics and food vats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Note that you can also provide no life support and double the capacity. This implies that the basic air and water recycling system masses about 1 ton. A habitat 'slice' weighs 8.333 tons or 7.5 tons, depending on the ship's SM, averaging about 8 tons, so a standard bunk is 2 tons, and as taking out the life support doubles the capacity, that means the life support is half that, or one ton.
Yeah. It also implies that people require twice as much life support if they are in shared staterooms, twice that in unshared staterooms, twice that in luxury suites…. We've pushed Spaceships beyond its intended limits, and it doesn't work well out here.

Quote:
I assume that you are using a five-ton slice for a habitat cabin space, based on how much steerage you get for it, but steerage cargo has at least some life support for it.
Yeah. Based on an 8-ton cabin providing 5 tons of steerage cargo I am reckoning 3 tons for decks, pressurisation, air circulation, and radiation shielding. That gives me 5 tons/cabin for the occupants, partitions, and fittings of the bunks/couchettes/staterooms/suites and a slice of kitchen, dining, washing, toilets, air treatment, and waste treatment.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 02-13-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote