View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: (Unofficial) FAQ of the GURPS Fora

Some notes on Will, inspired by a recent thread. Might come in handy some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh
Q: Anything with IQ 0, by extension, has Will 0 unless stated otherwise/bought up from IQ, correct?
Yes. That's pretty much self-evident, since Will = IQ and Per = IQ by default, so buying IQ down to 0 takes Will and Per down to 0, too. You don't get Will for free!

Quote:
Q:Transhuman Space Changing Times includes a template for a robot body with no AI and little to no software (i.e. one that is driven externally by remote or internally by a pilot), which includes IQ-10 [-200]. I'm assuming this can as well be applied to other stuff without a meaningful mind (e.g. modern cars, rocks), despite coming from a setting-specific book. (Another example would be a plant template with IQ & Will 0 from Fantasy, which is genre-specific but not setting-specific.) Am I correct?
It seems applicable to all dumb machines. Note that rocks aren't machines, though . . . a robot body is inherently Unliving, not Homogenous.

Quote:

Q: Will 0, similar to HT 0, means that 'afflictions etc. have their way with you' if they are resisted by it? (Assuming the effect makes sense in the first place, e.g. Burning Innate Attack against a tree or a car.)
A:
If the attack in question would affect you at all, sure. Note that lots of things with Will 0 have no mind to affect, so mind-affecting abilities fail automatically. Things that have low IQ but a mind generally buy up Will to allow resistance. Those that have low IQ but no mind often have Immunity to Mind Control. And some power modifiers already assume "Only affects targets with minds."

Quote:
Q: Resisted by Will is not the same as Affecting The Mind. E.g. a Will-resisted Burning Attack is the former, while a HT-based Mind Control or Delusion-Affliction is the latter. Correct?
Q:Lacking a mind protects from Mind-Affecting effects (due to them becoming meaningless). Correct?
A:
Exactly what I was saying above, yes.