View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Mister Negative

Default Re: [MA] Parries With Unready Weapons?

In a realistic game, I don't think so. In that type of game, if you are picking up a large, unbalanced, two-handed mace to brain people, I think you are choosing to not have a parry.

This isn't what you asked, but, in a realistic game, I would recommend the archer use his maul in a Defensive Grip and defend with it exclusively, until he has an opening. He might take Grip Mastery, since he has trained with it a lot.

That way, he defends (maybe using Evaluate) until he feels like he has a good opportunity. Then he switches grips as a free action on his turn and attacks (Committed or All-Out). In a realistic game, a good hit from a strong man with a maul will probably take an opponent out of the fight (if it connects).

Otherwise, he might consider taking a smaller weapon, like a regular or small mace, and wielding it in two hands with the Two-handed Axe/Mace Skill. This won't require a turn to ready, and using it with a Defensive Attack allows attacks and parries on the same turn. Visually, he's using a smaller Maul which he can wield more controllably. By the rules, he's using a Mace two-handed (see Low Tech 70 for specific stats). You lose some reach and the smallest possible amount of damage bonus, but you can attack and parry each turn that way.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote