View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: Maximum possible DR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
But broadly speaking, about what would be the scientifically reasonable maximum theoretically possible DR material, in terms of conventional matter, say in the former of a uniform layer of the stuff an inch thick, or 2.54 centimeters if you prefer.
Theoretical yield strengths probably top out around 150 GPa, which is 200 to 300 times the measured value for moderately strong steels, so perhaps something on the order of DR 15000-20000 per inch. For *real* materials, the usual rule of thumb is you can't expect more than 10% of the theoretical strength out of a macroscopic sample of anything, but magic nanotech is often assumed to be able to ignore that.

Though I suppose that would be more like HP, or at best ablative DR, since it isn't going to redistribute forces over its entire volume. It'd also be directional, for a 3D network I suppose it's about 70% of that.

Stressing "reasonable" bit more than the "theoretical" one getting a non-ablative DR above 1000 or so is starting to look a little doubtful to me, but higher values might be reasonable enough approximations in some cases - sure the actual surface might start to show inch deep pits from multi-thousand hit point attacks, but if it's a thick enough plate on a huge object, those might pass off as "negligible scratches".