View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #8
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Please help price an advantage?

It's weirder and harder to try to emulate a piece of fiction, instead of inventing whatever.

Unbreakable Bones and Regeneration are each more powerful than what I'm trying to represent. Tolkien's Elves are very tough, but not that tough. They already have a high racial HT (maybe 20), Very Rapid Healing, and Immunity to Disease. But they can be injured, maimed, crushed, bled to death, and otherwise killed. Their bones can be broken or severed. They heal faster than Humans, but probably no faster than Very Rapid Healing.

So, limiting Regrowth as an option:
They can't actually regrow or reattach severed pieces, not even fingers (except with high-tech surgery). Can Regrowth be Limited to apply only to Crippled (mangled or broken) parts that are still firmly attached? That's more limiting than Minor -50%, since it doesn't even grow back fingers. It's more limiting than Bane -50%, since dismemberment from any cause is permanent. Unbreakable Bones costs as much as Regrowth -75% and this is even less powerful than that - the crippling threshold is unchanged and Dismemberment is unchanged. (The crippling threshold is already high because of racial HT, and the roll to recover is already +5 from Very Rapid Healing.) 40 pts -80% would be 8 pts.

5 pts would instead be a -50% limitation on Unbreakable Bones? (Only applies to rolls to recover after being Crippled, doesn't prevent Dismemberment.)

This is how I'm trying to make it work:
If an Elf's leg is broken in 4 places, it would heal fully. Healing takes time, but afterwards his bone returns exactly to its original shape and size, and he can walk fine, instead of being Lame forever. But if his leg is severed or crushed into jelly, it's gone forever. The same would be true of an organ - a stab wound would heal fully (if he doesn't bleed to death) but surgical excision is permanent.

Published GURPS Settings
(as of 4/2013 -- I hope to update it someday...)

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 10-18-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote