Thread: Serendipity
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Serendipity

Where most of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game has been streamlined to be accessible to "beginner" and "intermediate" gamers, I must confess that Serendipity is one of the few elements left in the game that works best with an "advanced" GM. It absolutely requires excellent ad-libbing on the GM's part. With that condition met, the GM can make it as powerful as they want if players feel their 15 points aren't working for them. As the rules say, it can be as good as a critical success, which isn't nothing.

Serendipity is a cross between a "Fortunately, I anticipated something like this . . ." advantage and a "By some strange coincidence . . ." advantage. It can be used whenever the situation could be made easier on the PC by finished one of those sentences. The thing to avoid is making the whole adventure too easy.

Some examples similar to ones I've permitted:
"What are the odds we'd walk into the Wizards' Guild Library and the book on <major plot point> would be sitting there on the table?"
"Hey, see that woman? She's the merchant who sells exactly the <special or magical item> we want to buy!"
"Wow, look at this footpath to the dungeon. It'll take us right past all the <dangers> we were warned about!"
"After all that searching, who'd have thought I'd just lean on the button that reveals <secret thing>?"
"My cousin fought one of these! Its weakness is <flaw>."
"How fortuitous that we walked in on the monster just when it was <eating, peeing, sleeping, etc.>."
"Oh, wonderful – the dead monster just happened to be carrying <key, map fragment, password scrawled on paper, etc.>".
"Fortunately, I anticipated poison and bought an antidote. Who knew it was <specific poison>, though?"
"Why, that isn't just any ugly necklace! It's the long-lost <McGuffin>, which <NPC> is offering a huge reward for!"
"Wait a second . . . I recognize this artifact. It's the <fabled thing>, and it can <power>."
Plus it should always be able to pull off a guaranteed use of Last Ditch (Exploits, pp. 90-91) when the PC is in dire straits, with no need to spend character points or pay off the gods at the temple.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote