Thread: Serendipity
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
bocephus

Default Re: Serendipity

Serendipity is lesser to me, because its more part of the story. It doesn't undo a roll and really thats a tool the GM can use to bail out of something that might end up going very badly (but the PCs dont have enough info to know it).

For the cost I might allow Serendipity (at least one level) but I would try to put most of the work on the player, so it would be like a "flashback token" most likely. Level per session the player could just say "The mirror that I stuck in my bag before we left would be handy against this laser" or "what a surprise, that guard is an old drinking buddy of mine" ... but it would be up to them to set it up. This is often how I handle good role play rewards BTW, passing out a "flash back token".

In a regular game I wouldn't allow Luck. Its too much for me to have to keep track of when creating encounters and I don't like Luck. Luck combined with Serendipity quickly becomes overpowering vs the other players and a shortcut in encounters. In a heavily cinematic campaign, maybe, but I don't really run those. Or a single player game, that might be interesting.

I allow a lesser home brew Luck of "Once per session in a non-combat roll - 5pts" or the first level of luck at normal price for an experienced roll player. I also give out "Give someone else Luck" tokens, which I find encourages cool roleplay in the group moments more than give yourself luck. I usually give out regular Luck "tokens" at the end of an arc/chapter, but that comes out to a Luck token once per 5-10 sessions per player which also seems reasonable to me.

I have seen Luck ruin other players experience because it lets the Lucky player perform without needing the group or in a really bad situation, play in-spite of the group. I have also experienced one player who ended up not playing at my table because he "couldn't/wouldn't play a char without the Luck advantage".

I also spend a lot of time working on encounters to keep them balance but challenging for the group, and extreme luck can undo a chunk of that work, which is frustrating if its happening a lot. My games aren't ultra realistic but they're grounded solidly in some sort of logical construction and common rules.

IMO Luck is going to be your bigger problem. I mean you could see luck used multiple times in the same combat session if its the 60pt version which is really OP in my mind.
As a player Serendipity is almost too expensive points wise for what you get, which makes it seem ok to me as a GM.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote