View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 03:20 AM   #5
McAllister

Default Re: Looking to make a style of fighting that uses a lot of shenanigans

I don't think Ruby uses Brawling or Karate to kick people while she's wielding her scythe. I think she uses Scythe-Gun, which is also the skill she uses it shoot it, and swing it, and probably jump with it. Which kinda makes it sound like Scythe-Gun!, which is probably appropriate. I'd also argue that she does scythe-gun damage when she kicks; it's not like a pole-vaulting kick or a strike with the blade are portrayed as doing different amounts of damage. I'd further argue that the scythe does crushing damage. Does the setting use bleeding rules? Does the scythe perform better against unarmored targets than against armored ones (which is the essential distinction that the wounding modifier adds)? No? It's crushing damage that, as a special effect, can decapitate.

I'm not saying nobody ever engages in combat without their weapon (not that I can remember it), but I think using a separate skill for some kind of wacky recoil-assisted kick, as compared to jumping really high and hitting with the blade, isn't appropriate to the setting. EDIT: what I mean to say is that if someone is caught without their weapon, by all means, use unarmed skills. It strikes me that some people would be better prepared for this situation that others. It just doesn't feel like people need to have 2-4 skills to reflect all the ways they use their weapons.

Of course, maybe you don't want it to feel like RWBY, you just want to borrow the weapon from it. That would be cool too. It's just, the less the rules reflect RWBY, the less like Ruby your player's character is going to be able to be.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote