Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #75
Rick_Smith

Default memory is based on attribute total & XP buys talents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lord View Post
... Our "fix" for this perceived dilemma was to simply allow a character to have points of talents/spells/languages equal to half his character points round down. So a starting 32 point character would be able to take 16 points, a 36 point character would have 18 points and so on. ...

Of course YMMV, but we found this to be a simple "solution" that has served us well for decades. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I like Jeff Lord's idea too.

What I really don't want to lose is the "Talents for XP" idea -- ...
Hi Jeff, JLV, everyone.
Jeff, this is a solution for tight memory IQ slots (mIQ) which I've not seen before. In a strange way it makes sense to me. If I get stronger, then I have an easier time learning Warrior / Veteran / Campaigner. If I get more dexterous, then I have an easier time learning Swimming or Fencing.

JLV, two months ago, the idea of buying talents with experience (XP) would have seemed very alien to me. But after a month or so of thinking about the new TFT working this way, I am finding I agree with you.

The new TFT has a very tight number of attributes that you can buy. So when you have maxed out that character, what does he spend XP on? It pretty much has to be talents and spells, right? The way I see the new TFT working, is that the XP spent on a talent or spell, REPLACES the rules for studying spells or talents. "You have spent 1000 XP on Chemist? Well obviously you have been studying it for a long time!"

So I don't think that this new mechanic will go away.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote