View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #41
Brandy

Default Re: [MA] Tactical genius Character is penalised because the Player is tactically igno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius
You're proposing a false dilemma. In the games I play in, we keep role playing and gaming separate but equal - you're expected to do your best in role playing, but how well you do in reality doesn't provide modifiers to rolls. This way, we get entertainment when the players are able to provide it, but they're not penalized for not living up to their character's sheet. The inventive for role playing is fun, not game bonuses.
I'm intrigued. How does this work exactly?

Given, for sake of argument, a character with a good diplomacy skill. Suppose he's been pulled over by a cop and wants to get out of the ticket, so he's going to try to use Diplomacy to Influence the cop's Reaction to him.

What does the player say? Would all of the following have the same effect in terms of the die roll?

Player 1: "Okay, as he walks up I say, 'Listen dawg, I pay your salary. You better be nice to me.' I have a high Diplomacy skill, so this might get me out of it and it's guaranteed not to **** him off -- says so right on page 187."

Player 2: "Okay, as he's walking up I pull out my wallet and set it on the dash, roll down the window, and put both hands on the steering wheel. I'll smile at him as he approaches. When he comes up, I'll let him speak first if he wants to, but if not I'll say 'I'm so sorry officer -- I realized when I saw your lights that I'd lost all track of how fast I was going.' I'm hoping my Diplomatic approach will help me get out of this. "

Player 3: "I want to use my Diplomacy skill to get out of it."

As a GM, I likely wouldn't treat these three the same.

Last edited by Brandy; 08-23-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Brandy is offline   Reply With Quote