Thread: Aliens RPG
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
ak_aramis

Default Re: Aliens RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
A holiday gift that came with the full kickstarter load of goodies. Hoping to run a modified version of the intro adventure it for my local group. Anyone else giving it a try?
Ran the preview version of Chariot of the Gods when it first dropped to backers, had a good time.

Am currently running two campaigns... both of which are doing well. I am enjoying the hell out of it, and the mission gen is working well for me.

There are some flaws -
  • A few rules unclear
  • Space is 2D
  • System & World generation
    • missing rules for and advice on placement of the generated bodies
    • Terrestrial planets sizes not a smooth nor logarithmic progression
    • Terrestrial planets hydrographics not a smooth scale.
    • No list of star types for the maps, but those are needed for system gen.
    • No index of stars on the map, let alone with precise distances
  • multiple issues in Space Trucker missions
    • Missions do not specify number of passengers nor size of cargo lot
    • multiple references to buying cargos (apparently for spec trade) but no base prices.

The inability to fire multiple weapon systems per turn is going to be a problem for some, but I find it a good gamist dodge. It allowed my players to successfully do a slingshot past a pirate ship... by damaging its thrusters.

Do keep in mind when reading/running, like old D&D (pre-3E), it has very specific meanings for round, turn, shift; unlike old D&D, they are ranges not fixed numbers. (Round: 5-10s, Turn: 5-10 min, Shift: 5-10 hours, Day, Week, and Year retain their customary values. Months are not used in the mechanics.)

Weeks are important for maintenance on ships; years for owed payments on lease-to-own contracts. (term of which isn't specified.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote