View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #347
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I'm getting kinda confused, wasn't I in a virtual meeting room earlier with Yuria when I was "hit" by the imaginary chair?

I'm thinking maybe the difference was that that was a visual-only room (ie why I couldn't be hit) but to practice tactile skills like woodworking requires cybernetic brain implant to mimic physical sensations?
Yes, Everyone else has a cybernetic brain implant (the ANI) that allows them to see, hear, touch, smell, and taste virtual worlds as though they were completely in them. Olive is using a room of screens, and lacks the tactile feedback necessary.

She can certainly get access to general mechanic courses. A lot of them. She quickly realized that most of the mechanic work here is done remotely with little robot drones. She's able to steer and direct them quite quickly, and becomes comfortable directing them to do all sorts of things. The hard part is knowing what needs to be done, and she can spend plenty of time studying that. She finds herself drawn to floorplans, and she grasps the location of odd-subsystem maps pretty quickly. Something about floorplans is familiar.

Of course, that won't give her access to the tools she wants. After some searching, she comes across a sub field that will give her some hands on tools... integrated circuit maintenance.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote