View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #1768
Phase_Shifter

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
You just need to layer it over regular iron as you don't need super hardness throughout a weapon. I think it's even bad to do so as it would make it all too brittle.
I do wish they would remember that there are people allergic to gold. My mom develops rashes. Fortunately, she's too cheap to ever want any anyway. Ha.
Maybe this means you can use gold to case-harden ordinary titanium--just plate the surface with gold, then heat-treat to produce the new alloy.

As for allergies to gold--hopefully, the alloy should reduce the activities of both gold and titanium, since both are diluted by mixing.

I recall hearing someone researching artificial joint materials saying that roughly 25% of the population has problems with titanium implants becoming pitted over time, which causes problems with roughening of surfaces in artificial joints. (At the time, the major issue was that a pitted titanium ball in a ball-and-socket joint would shave out bits of the plastic socket, so people were researching diamondlike carbon coatings for the titanium.)

Last edited by Phase_Shifter; 11-15-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Phase_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote