View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #103
Icelander

Default Re: Low-Tech Missile Weapon Range and Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW
Looking at the stats (3rd E) longbows already have better damage and range than shorter ones - so the draw lenght is probably taken into account in that. Composite bows have even better stats - but are actually heavier and much more expensive. So we can assume that GURPS composite bow is a recurve/reflex bow large enough that it has about the same draw lenght as a longbow. Recurve makes the initial draw stiffer compared to the last part of the draw (probably making it more even actually - as I reckon the draw becomes normally harder the longer you draw) so it would make sense that it accelerates the arrow a bit more in the last moment the arrow is touching the string.
Absolutely. I'm not saying that GURPS doesn't account for this. I'm justifying my decision to retain the GURPS damage numbers of bows, instead of making all bows, regardless of size, the same.

I just don't think a ST 15 hickory shortbow and a ST 15 yew longbow will achieve the same effect. The latter will be much more efficient than the former. The same goes for a long ST 15 composite recurve, which will be more efficient still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW
I've drawn (but newer shot with) a compound bow - it's quite uncanny how easy it is to hold drawn - probably less minimum strength - as being under min strenght penalizes to hit and it does not really need much strength to hold when aiming.. A really strong compound bow with min strength 11 could have even better range and damage - at least with high tech arrows. Assuming the compound system has the same effect as recurve - but more of it.
The effects of compound bows in GURPS are to allow an archer to shoot as if he had ST of 2 points higher.

High-Tech notes that it's impossible to apply the 'Compound' modifier to Composite Bows. I'm not sure I agree with that, as actual compound bows are made out of very light and stiff materials that allow it superior energy efficiency. I'd actuall say that compound bows were Composite Bows that gave the benefit of +2 ST.

Many compound bows let off up to 50% of the draw weight at full draw. This makes aiming much easier.

I wouldn't assess a seperate Acc increase for it. I'd just say it's a precondition of the attachment of sighting systems and aiming aids.