View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
sn0wball

Default Re: Traveller Ship's Tickets

I like this. The number and type of technical skills available has always been a little bit puzzling and confusing to me. Yours is surely a fine system for those interested for detailed competence-related in-play character development. But, for example, what is about Life Support ? Is there yet another skill which is used to repair Life Support ? Or Nuclear Dampers ? Or the hull ? A fresher ? GT has so many individual starship components that giving each its own skill might overcomplicate the matter.

In actual play, I prefer the opposite approach. In my efforts the shorten the skill list as much as possible, especially with regard to technical skills, I decided to introduce three skills which are specialized for starship use. There are other, more specialized skills, which are usually owned by people who professonally build or repair starships in a yard.

Mechanic (Starship)

The skills allows to make repairs to the mechanical parts of a starship.

Electronics (Starship)

The skills allows to make repairs to the, well, electronic parts of a starship.

Engineer (Starship)

This is the skill needed to operate a starships engine, especially the Jump Drive. Thus you roll it when you make a jump. (I never understood why you should roll Mechanic in that situation.)