View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
Gnome

Default Re: Fixing Injury Tolerance [Basic/Powers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Unliving objects as supposed to have twice the HP of living objects
Can you provide a citation for this? I've never known about such a rule, and it doesn't seem sensible to me. HP is so abstract and can depend on so many idiosyncratic details, like internal body structure and mechanics, I just don't see how the HP of a living and unliving thing (presumably you're comparing a man to the zombie formed from his corpse?) can be easily compared this way. GURPS Magic does give zombies a HP bonus as I recall, so in that sense there is a rule in existence for this particular comparison. I assume GURPS Zombies gives more options for the type of zombie we're dealing with (I don't have that book). It many depend of course on what it is that "animates" the zombie in the first place, and what it takes to disrupt that animating force.

Quote:
while Homogeneous/Diffuse objects are supposed to have four times the HP of living objects.
Ok, here you're on more solid ground, as for objects of the same weight, Homogenous will have twice the HP of Unliving.

Quote:
This means that a corpse would have twice the HP of the person that they were beforehand, while a sack of ground meat made from the same person would have four times the HP, which is paradoxical.
I don't see a paradox. "Destroying" the person involves making him dead, which just means disrupting any of his many vital functions. "Destroying" the corpse depends on the nature of the supernatural force animating it. "Destroying" a sack of meat might involve scattering its bits to the four winds, although I can't say I'm certain anymore what it is we're discussing. A flesh golem, perhaps? Maybe I'll retreat again to the idea that it depends on what is making it "alive" in the first place. In all of these cases, the assignment of HP to the creature is somewhat arbitrary, which is to say it depends on how the GM envisions that particular monster working.

Quote:
In addition to its normal effects, Unliving should halve final damage, rounded down (minimum 1 HP), and should be 60 CP rather than 20 CP, rather than doubling HP. In addition to its normal effects, Homogenous should quarter final damage, rounded down (minimum 1 HP), and should be 120 CP rather than 40 CP, rather than quadrupling HP. In addition to its normal effects, Diffuse should quarter area effect damage (minimum 1 HP), and should be 150 CP rather than 100 CP, rather than quadrupling HP.
Dividing damage is already built into another advantage: IT:Damage Reduction. I see no point in bundling various forms of IT. Unliving and Homogenous make you resistant to imp/pi damage, presumably because those are more damaging if there's some internal structure to disrupt--living things have lots of vital internal functions, Unliving have fewer, and Homogenous fewer still.

EDIT: Ninjaed by a few posters above...

Last edited by Gnome; 10-28-2019 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Ninjaed!
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote