View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #50
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Reaction Table House Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
I'm familiar with the context. This isn't a case where the trope's meaning is different from other senses and indeed the language being used here predates the description of the trope. Like a lot of trope articles it's introduction isn't a precise definition but casual gesture at the concepts involved. The trope is about the way fiction handles characters at the poles of technical skill and performance ability. Someone with technical skill and nothing else won't be able to come up with original approaches but can perform very technically demanding pieces. Someone with performance ability and nothing else will produce original approaches but can't produce technically impressive pieces. In the real world though people don't pick between being a Performer or being a Technician because they aren't conflicting choices. Have you never encountered music that is both improvised and highly technical?

Bonus points for an All The Tropes link though.
If it's improvised, it no longer matches the canonical (technical) melody. You can be 0% good at improvisation and 0% good at tech, or 75%/25%, or 25%/75%, or 50%/50%, but you can't have fractions of X to add up more than X in such situations.
If you don't like music being used as an example, let's use films: a film can either be a precise adaptation of a book, or an innovative approach that improves on the plot and dialogue on the book, but it can't be both at 100% simultaneously.

Quote:
It's not begging the question. My words are not an attempt to prove that I'm right but an attempt to describe my opinion. It is not necessary for me to refrain from describing things in a manner that assumes that I am correct when presenting my views.
Okay. I'll get back to the split from a different angle downpost.

Quote:
"Apparently some dude from a film from the seventies."

Since that isn't very helpful I'd describe a realistic version as someone with some good Reaction Modifier (wiki article describes him as having old-fashioned and courtly manners), good rolls and cascading circumstantial bonuses. If you want a version that can reliably achieve this I might uncap Charisma.
Well, he doesn't seem to have looks nor Status nor Voice, so yeah, an example of Charisma at levels that are good enough to offer quite a free ride in his situations. (Not Savoir-Faire, as he regularly does faux pas.) (Anybody speaking French nearby? How do I pluralise faux pas properly?)

(Continued in next post.)