View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 12:51 AM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Can a Ritual Give a Bonus to Symbol Drawing or Alchemy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Done.

Edward Alvin Smith (PC) can only make Charms and Elixirs, he can't cast rituals on the fly, but I suspect that the broadness of the Nommo tradition will still help him. After all, when PCs don't have access to Ritual Adept, magic is primarily useful as Conditional Spells anyway.
I assume he's got a limitation on his Magery and/or Ritual Adept (if he has that - though he likely doesn't need it given he isn't casting spells)?

Quote:
Right.

I thought I had seen it somewhere, but can't find it now. Are there rules for a character starting play with access to a Place of Power? Is it a Perk? An Advantage?
I've been using my rules from "What's In a Lair" from Pyramid #3/86: Organizations. You could likely map out a cost for one by figuring the cost using the Power Pool/Enhancer (p. 11) then using the trading points for money schema to determine a character point cost.

Quote:
I shall use both.
Cool.

Quote:
Right. Off to purchase that, I am, then.

Funny, when I read over the preview, I didn't find anything I thought was relevant to my game, as I'm specifically avoiding any hint of powers that indicate that one religion or another is true. So, magic items that are venerated as relics are fine, but relics that have holy power, as a power source separate from magic, are not allowed.
I tend to shove niggly bits into all my work. That's one of them.

I'll also suggest you consider using Magical Components (GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic, p. 18) if hunting for more bonuses. You can reverse engineer the costs for different TLs by simply dividing the TL3 Starting Wealth into those values. Should be straightforward.

The "Incanter's Grimoire" from Pyramid #3/114: Mind Over Magic is also very useful for doing weird stuff in a RPM-based system. It is specific to that magic system, but most of it should pass through to energy-accumulating RPM just fine.

"A Familiar Path" from Pyramid #3/75: Hero's Jackpot contains lots of little rules for RPM and, of course, rules for having familiars for a caster.

The Ritual Path Magic tag on my blog may be of some service as well.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote