View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Jo Flan

Default Re: Boring Game Until Level 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by serleran View Post
I have the opposite opinion. You're never quite sure what to expect during the "get to level 9" phase, as all sorts of stuff can fly out. However, once a player gets to level 9, everyone knows exactly what's happening, what to do, and how... it just comes down to when by virtue of running out of "stop that!" cards to prevent the win. And, since you get to see the first card pulled, it becomes even more obvious. With multiple people at level 9, it is a simple matter of when the right cards run out and it can often be predicted.

So, for me, the end game is boring. It's the journey there that makes it interesting.

I will say that introducing alternate win conditions, such as Cthulhu and cultists or Apocalypse, or even Side Quests, does help as it becomes more generally random.
This is how it is for me also. The funniest part is the journey to level 9 as everyone is trying to screw each other over so they're not too strong at level 9. Also, since they know they can't keep all the "screw you" cards until the very end. Also, since people often buff their own monsters to gain extra treasure. We just had a game where we buffed a monster to +9 treasures and people were laying everything down to stop us.

I guess the issue is mostly that the OP has a lot of friends whom only play really defensively and save literally everything until the very end and cause no waves early on. At level 9, like you said, it's just waiting on everyone to run out of their "screw you" cards and someone wins. You can't even do any power play moves like say you've got nothing to buff a monster until another player helps so you can screw both of them at once, because you can't help at level 9.
Jo Flan is offline   Reply With Quote