View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Dalin

Default Re: Idea for handling curses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yssa View Post
I'm having a trouble picturing this. Can you give an example of how a character would get cursed, what effects the curse would have, and what would trigger a roll?
I'd like to see more of an example too. I think what he's going for is this (I'll use my cleric, Zafir, as an example PC):

Zafir touches the accursed doorknob of doom and is cursed. (I think this is unbeknownst to him.) The GM secretly rolls three dice and gets a 12. Zafir now has a "Curse of 12" following him around. The next time Zafir needs to roll the dice for any reason, the GM secretly rolls again. If she rolls a 12 or less, the curse kicks in and reduces Zafir's success level. If she rolls above 12, the curse remains in effect but doesn't kick in this time. The number of times it affects Zafir before it expires is set at the start. (So a Lesser Accursed Doorknob might just affect someone once; a Greater Accursed Doorknob might do 1d times; and the Doomsday Doorknob would last until the curse is removed.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
It's an interesting mechanic. Most curses will strike often if you go that way. I would probably just decide on a number.
I agree with this. Rolling for a target number could introduce bizarre things where you roll a 3 and then the PC might not even notice the curse for the next 200+ rolls while the GM is pulling their hair out trying to remember to roll every time. Better to just control the intensity of the curse by setting a target number and a number of charges.

In general, I like a game world with many flavors of curses. Some make you unlucky. Some make you misbehave under certain circumstances. Some compel you to do things. Some cause your skin to slowly turn purple. Etc. This could be one flavor.

Edit: As a GM, though, I prefer to pass off the mechanics to the player. Have them do the rolling and whatnot even if the character doesn't know that they are cursed.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote