View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #27
KevinJ

Default Re: How Many High-IQ Wizards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
My assumption was 11 people per square mile of Dran.

If the population actually is half a million then there would be 1.6k wizards, each active for an average of 30 years and so a graduating class of 60, which means there are two or three Hogwarts in Dran, rather than the one I postulate.
There is an article somewhere on the web, I can't seem to find it now, that talks about how many people one square mile of land can support.

The base line for arable land is around 120 people per 1 square mile of farmland. So for every square mile of decent farmland you can provide enough food for 120 people, a city of 120,000 people would require 1,000 square miles of decent farmland.

Magic, agricultural technology, and weather conditions can increase this value. This also includes the village the people live in and the roads needed to comment the villages with towns and cities. So if you have a lot of good farm land bolstered by magic and good farming techniques you could push that up to 200 people per square mile and thus support large populations of non-farmers.