View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Additional Iron Mountain scenarios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
The big question is how to interpret that mountain terrain and those cliff edges. It's per-scenario, at least for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Painfully?
Per-scenario should probably stay the rule long-term...but with all the ways the game has grown since Iron Mountain was first published (just a few months after Ogre was released, sometime in 1977), if they wanted to make it an official hex / hexside, we could probably "borrow" pretty liberally from places like Ogre Minis.

Granted, official 'mountain' hexes would make a lot of people twitch. To be consistent with Iron Mountain, they'd add a layer of crunch to a game defined by its elegance.

Perhaps:

Mountain (hex):
Permitted units:
Infantry (all variants; 2MP/hex, D+1 terrain)

Combat:
Units may not fire beyond a Mountain hex, but may fire into or out of one. (This would make some great ambush scenarios, Operation Cyclone style...a couple hidden HWTs waiting in the mountains, ready to rain [fnord] down on travelers below...and greatly increase both the playable area and different ways to use Mat M2)

Landslides:
When damaged, a mountain hex triggers a landslide. All units in the hex suffer an immediate attack at A3 [in addition to any spillover]. For the rest of the game, the Mountain hex is D+2 terrain. In an overrun, the landslide occurs after the attacker's first fire round.

Cliff (hexside):
Edit: I couldn't find anything I liked in the Minis rules. They're worried about the realities of using vertical terrain. So instead:

Permitted Units:
Infantry (delayed, as Stream for armor units)

Notes:
I went with A3 for the landslide specifically to grant 2:1 against 1-squad, 1-1 against 2-squad, and 1-2 against 3-squad counters hiding in the hex. I figured that was cleaner wording than "A2, and units do not get the terrain bonus against this attack". Alternatively, it could also be a fixed-odds attack at either 1-1 or 1-2. I don't want the odds to be too high because auto-murder is no fun, but not so low that landslides aren't a "real" threat / aren't tactically useful, either.

I was tempted to bring over the rules for 'falling', but two problems arose: one, hex-grid Ogre doesn't concern itself with verticality, and two without 3D terrain, it becomes ambiguous which direction is 'down'.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/

Last edited by TheAmishStig; 01-04-2019 at 06:51 PM.
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote