View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #3
malloyd

Default Re: Cost Factor for odd Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnoel View Post
I've built out all the stats, no problem. My question is: How much should armor cost for this race? I haven't been able to find generic rules for armoring odd body shapes, unless they are so odd you can effectively go for horse barding instead.
If this race makes its own armor, there's no particular reason for it to cost more or less than armor made by humans for humans. If you want to buy armor from somebody who has never made a set for your race, he may charge a premium (and suffer a skill penalty for lack of familiarity), but as there is no particular increase in materials costs or necessarily in time required, it would mostly be to cover the frustration of working around that non-familiarity penalty.

Quote:
What if he finds some great armor somewhere down the line, and wants to have it refitted for him? Is that still accounted for by a craftsman spending an hour and making the Armory+2 check (again, Low-Tech p.103), or should it cost more because it takes longer or is a more difficult check?
Realistically, it's probably *impossible* for many kinds of armor over differently shaped locations. But that applies to differently shaped humans too. This rule is a generous simplification, if you are using it in the first place you might as well use it for this too.