View Single Post
Old 12-22-2015, 06:30 AM   #20
Qhaysh

Default Re: [RPM] Adapting Ars Magica into GURPS

RIIIISEE FROM YOUR GRAVE, ATTEND MY SUMMONS!

Sorry for the necromancy. I've gone back to pondering how to adapt Ars again, now that I finally have time for myself.

So one of the things about the magic in Ars is that a magus can choose to focus on either the verb (Technique) or the noun (Form) when increasing his powers. A magus wanting to fling fireballs around could choose to focus on Fire (Ignem) or Creo (Create), or maybe both. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Let's say I have Creo 5 and Ignem 10, I'll be casting with a 15; it could just as well be Creo 10 and Ignem 5, and I'd be casting as effectively. There are side benefits for each case: focusing on Techniques means more spellcasting flexibility (since there are only 5 verbs/Techniques and 10 nouns/Forms); whereas focusing on Techniques/nouns gives you some resistance against things of that type (e.g.: having high Ignem/Fire will give you some resistance agains fire).

Although I'm not one for translating the mechanics directly, I do think this particular bit of rules should be translated into the adaptation.

The best option still is, to my mind, using the verbs as semi-Attributes (raised from 10). Another option did occur to me, though: both Techniques /Verbs and Forms/Nouns are skills, and effective casting skill is calculated by adding both relative skill levels onto the attribute.

Let me give you a worked example: Blasty the Battle-magus, a Flambeau magus, knows Ignem/Fire (an IQ/H skill) at +3, which cost him 16 CP; he also knows Creo/Create (an IQ/VH skill) at +0, which cost him 8 CP. When casting a Fireball Spell, we add BOTH relative skill levels to his attribute (which we'll say is his IQ 12); which in this case means he rolls against an effective skill of 15 (12 base attribute level + 0 from Creo +3 from Ignem).

Let's say he now wants to put out a fire; that requires Perdo Ignem (Destroy Fire). His Ignem is +3 [16], and his Perdo is -2 [2]. So to put out said fire Blasty would be rolling against an effective skill of 13 (12 base attribute level -2 from Perdo +3 from Ignem).

Does this sound any better?
Qhaysh is offline   Reply With Quote