View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #30
Skarg

Default Re: Orcs as player characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
I too was under the impression that the +1 Weapon Bonus was the key benefit that *sold* the Dwarves as a PC race.
Dwarves were an easy sell to me at age 11 having just read The Hobbit. But who's "selling"? I had no "investment" in players taking non-humans, and in fact I tend to prefer when they mostly do take humans (which mine did, despite I think us all seeing that dwarves had an advantage).

Although I enjoyed the dwarf +1 damage, I thought it was pretty clearly like Dwarves are just better than human fighters as long as they use those weapons, and my issue with that is/was that it seemed "simply better". I don't particularly want dwarves to have to be MA 8 but it makes sense and would have them interestingly different rather than just better. (I sort of want there to be a +1 damage axe talent, so I can give dwarves a discount on it so I can keep the old-TFT-style dwarves in a way that makes good sense to me. That may be how I end up house-ruling it.)

To me the most important thing is that races feel appropriately different. So I tend to prefer races be statted to mainly match their descriptions functionally. I don't really want them to be particularly "balanced" against each other, as long as some aren't better or worse in a way that feels off. Instead I'd like them to be interestingly & appropriately distinct, which the TFT races did.

I mainly just hope TFT races retain their unique general flavor (which it seems to me is largely that they are individuals and not caricatures) and its distinctness from the flavors they have in other games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I liked the differential races, and not every PC being 32 points + 10 MA.

Elves with running at MA 14? Yep! Was a huge advantage, but it SHOULD be one.
I liked that too! I like the original ITL stats & descriptions, and would rather keep their imperfections than have them become overly balanced/bland. And I certainly don't want 32 point + 10 MA gargoyles or reptile men.

One quibble for me is that the starting minimum attributes have no real effect except on lopsided characters. How many PCs are ST 6-7 elves or DX 6-7 dwarves? So mainly the effect is you don't get to have a DX 8-9 elf or a ST 8-9 dwarf, which again is barely noticeable.

Last edited by Skarg; 08-08-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote