View Single Post
Old 12-31-2017, 07:03 AM   #24
whswhs

Default Re: Realistic Point Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadam View Post
This is where Back to School applies mods based on advantages such as Single-Minded (+30%), Talents (X/(1-talent level/10), Education Quality, etc... isnt it? For the account if I introduce the houserule of charging 1/3 of the attributes cost while growing up, average adults start at 0 points when they age fifteen, would that work?
Normally you don't apply those guidelines retrospectively, to define how your character got to where they were at the start of play; you apply them prospectively, to determine how your character develops after play starts. At the start of play the character has as many points as the GM allows, and you don't have to define all the details of how the character got there.

Certainly you can have NPCs at any power level. There's not a problem with having them be more capable than the PCs; there are a lot more stories where the PCs have to deal with powerful Patrons and Enemies than where they bestride the world like colossi and no one can challenge them. But it really doesn't make a good story if you have them encounter someone who is so much better than they are that the PCs can neither help nor threaten them meaningfully. There's no reason for such a person even to pay attention to the PCs. I mean, to bring up Doc Savage again, it really wouldn't be that good a campaign to have the PCs be Renny, Johnny, Long Tom, Monk, and Ham, with Doc overshadowing them in everything.

So to me, the question is not "Can such a character exist?" but "What purpose does the character serve in the PCs' story?" Why do you want such a character to be present in the first place?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote