View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Nymdok

Default Re: How much attention do you pay to encumberance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
We use GCS as the place to have character sheets, instead of only for character building, so our games have the encumbrance tracking on by default.
Im this guy. GCS makes it too easy to NOT do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Ignoring encumbrance greatly devalues ST . . . by about 30%, in fact (see also Lifting ST). I consider that a bad thing. While encumbrance can get complex, the trick isn't to ignore it so much as follow best practices: (1) have a spreadsheet add it up before the game begins, and (2) enforce "no reductions during high-intensity scenes," which means that if you drop enough kit to reduce your encumbrance level, your Move and Dodge improve only when the GM has time to worry about it. (When asked what this is supposed to represent in reality, my answer is "Sore muscles" on a good day, "My campaign isn't a reality simulation!" on a bad one.) It can also help to add up a few gear configurations in advance; e.g., "with pack" and "without pack."
The point about ST was an important one for us. Had a few players build low point DF Combat Wombats and making sure they got full value for those ST points was important to me (and them!). Its important for me to make sure the players see the value add from the points they spend.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote