Thread: Why Magic Items
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 12:33 AM   #21
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Why Magic Items

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helborn View Post
One method that I am using is a limited number of wizards. The talents and mind set to be a wizard are rare.
Hi Helborn. Just wondering if that second sentence is a generalization, or if you literally require your own "wizardry talents" as a device to regulate wizards and magic item creation?

As I rewrite my own house rules for the future, wizards (just to exist) must take the first in a series of relatively expensive wizardry talents, and those are also prerequisites for all the more advanced wizardry skills.

To permit PC wizards to create magic items (which I never even allowed in the old days) but to do so in a tightly regulated manner, I delete the existing magic item creation spells, replacing them with advanced wizardry talents that allow for the same things. I'm looking at:

IQ 17 and 10 cumulative points worth of talents before a wizard can undertake Weapon/Armor Enchantment.

IQ 20 and 12 cumulative points spent on wizardry talents before Lesser Magic Item creation.

IQ 23 and 14 cumulative points of talents before undertaking Greater Magic Item creation.

(As an offset to the cost of these expensive wizardry talents, wizards would no longer pay double for regular talents.)

Perhaps the minimum IQs are a little too high, so that's still under consideration. The goal is to make Greater Magic Item creation barely obtainable by all but the most successful and dedicated PC wizards.

I'm especially adverse to letting IQ 14 wizards churn out enchanted weapons and armor, as that's an IQ even a starting wizard could have under the RAW. In fact, I'm also going to require a collaboration with a Master Armourer to create enchanted weapons, making the process even harder, as well as more colorful and realistic.