View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 03:59 AM   #10
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Blur Ring costs less than a Blur Spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
#IgnoreTheIssuesAndThereWillBeGameyWeirdness
Well, exactly. And the threads Henry starts like this one are absolutely great for uncovering these issues, issues that when left hidden do (for some of us) "gnaw at the heart" of the game -- if that's not too overly-dramatic a way of putting it :)

$3000 to save a wizard tying up one point of memory sounds like quite a good deal to me, without including the big freebie of running the spell ST free too. And if it's for a non-wizard to be able to use the spell without tying up 3 talent points worth of memory? If that isn't a huge bargain, even for a totally unpowered item, I don't know what is!

One little concession I might make for these much-too-inexpensive magic items is to allow the owner to turn it on and start continuing spells for free, but every turn thereafter they would have to pay the regular cost. For Blur that would only save the user 1 ST on turn 1. It's a cheap IQ 8 spell anyway. If the item's spell was Summon Bear, that would save that initial 4 ST on turn 1, but then cost the 1 ST per turn normally required to continue that spell. That seems to me to be a whopping, big, generous enough ST savings right there. I feel any of these items from the official table have such ridiculously low prices they shouldn't be any easier to use than that.

I'm not adverse to considerably more expensive magic items running as self-powered or semi-powered, and certainly NPCs might own such a prize when it fits the story. But if a cash value is to be assigned to those items, it ought to be pretty astronomical.

Last edited by Steve Plambeck; 07-03-2020 at 04:05 AM.
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote