View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #40
Tomsdad

Default Re: Can you Parry a Bear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imion View Post
With a Shield Bash you only have to accelerate the mass of the shield. With a Shield Rush you have to accelerate the mass of yourself as well as the mass of everything you are carrying. On a surface that has considerable friction. So naturally, the force of impact of the latter is lesser than that of the former.
I think that's going to depend on weather or not you can shield bash at a significantly different velocity than you can shield rush at. Not forgetting that the mass of the latter is going to be significantly more than the former

So I guess the question is how fast do you think you can shield bash with a 25lb shield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imion View Post
ADDENDUM: One might additionally argue that the area of impact of a Shield Bash is smaller than the area of impact of a Shield Rush, since it might be doubtful that you connect with the whole broad side of the shield when bashing.
Maybe but i think you might have happen in shield rushes as well.

Either way while that effect would act to concentrate the force on a smaller point of impact I'm not sure that it will matter much for the momentum of the attack and I think it's more that you trying parry against.

And thinking about it if you parrying by redirecting the point of impact, that's easier to do against small concentrated point of impact than a larger more diffuse one

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-29-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote