View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
warmachine

Default Re: I don't want to make FATAL 2nd Edition

In the Giant in the Playground forums, someone described how he actually tried to GM it. The haphazard and pointless attributes have already been mentioned.
  • Check character creation so a step doesn't require redoing calculations made in an earlier step.
  • Ensure a character creation step, such as randomly picking character class, isn't typically re-rolled at least twice, such as due to class entrance requirements.
  • Check the maths of any class advancement, such as a barber cutting 10,000 beards or so to achieve second level.
  • Avoid requiring boring actions, such as cutting beards, as the only way to advance.
  • Ensure starting characters can afford basic equipment appropriate to the campaign, such as a weapon to fight bandits.
You can't accidentally make something as horrid as FATAL because you have the minimal insight to realize you can make a mistake. However, you are setting your bar far, far too low. Consider an RPG that was actually printed for comparison. Try stating your design philosophy and objectives.

Air hostess: Would you like anything from the duty free trolley?
Tank Girl: Yes! I'd like everything that's bad for me!
- Tank Girl, Tank Girl 3
warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote