View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
dwalend

Default Re: How to introduce "complications"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.JeffB View Post
I have managed to get a couple more friends playing Ogre, and I feel that they have a good grasp on the basic game using the quickstart rules. We actually all three have some free time at the same time this weekend, and I am hoping to introduce them to the GEV maps and some of the new rules.

I'll admit, I have absolutely no idea what the best way to handle teaching all the "extras" would be. I've thought about doing a game or two on the basic map, but adding in the overrun, stacking, and spillover rules, as well as most of the additional units. Moving to the GEV maps afterwards would let the terrain be a totally separate learning step, but I'm not convinced it would be more efficient or time-friendly to do that many games as learning exercises.

How have all of you dealt with introducing people to the rules? Does everyone else simply skip the basic quickstart rules, and teach everything at once? Or are the rules something that takes multiple sessions to teach?
I like the overrun rules in the basic game. Ramming is even more fun if the victim gets a parting shot, and the game works fine.

Next up is five-unit stacks and spill-over. The rules make sense and take a minute to explain, so you can skip this step.

Terrain after that. Breakthrough is a really good beginner scenarios. Raid next for shooting buildings. Add ogres to see ogres move on terrain.

SHVYs, riding on tanks and GEV-PCs, trucks, the train are fine to put off. Play some Ceasefire Collapse without them first.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote